So What is "The Butterflies of Memory"?

Butterflies of Memory is a temporary public sculpture on the site of the collapsed Smallpox Hospital Ruins on Roosevelt Island in Manhattan. Seventeen giant yellow butterflies, each ten feet in diameter, will fly between 18 and 36 feet above the Ruins, visually carrying off the building. Installed in the summer of 2012, "Butterflies of Memory" will be viewable from Roosevelt Island, the Midtown Waterfront and the FDR highway, thus bringing an image of inspiration and beauty to over two million New Yorkers.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Five Great Butterfly Quotes



"Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."
---Nathaniel Hawthorne

"I've watched you now a full half-hour,
Self-poised upon that yellow flower.
And, little Butterfly! Indeed
I know not if you sleep or feed."--William Wordsworth

"We must remain as close to the flowers, the grass, and the butterflies as the child is who is not yet so much taller than they are."
--Friedrich Nietzsche

"I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man."--Chuang Tzu

"I believe that after you die, you come back as whatever you want. I'll be a butterfly. Because no-one ever suspects...the butterfly"--Bart Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment